IMPORTANT - Kruger National Park is a malaria area
- Kruger National Park is a malaria area.
- Use ABCD approach to prevention:
- Awareness of risk
- Bite prevention – use insect repellent, covering arms and legs at dawn and dusk
- Check whether you may want to use malaria prevention tables
- Diagnosis – immediate medical advice for malaria symptoms after trip
- Also read: Heading to a region with malaria?
Recommended – By Air
International Flights to arrive at OR Tambo International Airport.
From there, SA Airlink operates daily scheduled flights between Johannesburg, Durban, Pietermaritzburg, Bloemfontein and Cape Town to the Skukuza Airport, located a short distance from the Skukuza Rest Camp. Shuttle services would need to be pre-arranged from both airports. Book Airlink flights
Transfers from Skukuza Airport
The Skukuza Airport Management Company appointed Avis as the car hire service provider at Skukuza Airport providing car hire and point-to-point shuttle service between Skukuza Airport and Skukuza Main Camp.
Not only will Avis provide pre-booked vehicles for collection at the Skukuza Airport for guests arriving on Airlink’s schedule flights direct from Johannesburg and Cape Town, but they will also offer a shuttle service to the main Skukuza Camp. Avis has a well-established infrastructure at the Skukuza Camp having provided car hire facilities to the visitors to the Park for many years. The opportunity to fly directly into the Kruger Park, hire a car and immediately begin your game drive as you exit the airport is unique.
To book a shuttle service from the Skukuza Airport to the main camp, contact Jacqueline Nel on[email protected] or +27(0)11 778 8982 or +27(0)87 250 0480.
Second Option – Shuttle Services from ORTambo International Airport to Skukuza
Should you require a shuttle service from Johannesburg (OR Tambo Airport) to Skukuza, contact Jacqueline Nel on [email protected] or +27(0)11 778 8982 or +27(0)87 250 0480.
Least Recommended – By Road – Paul Kruger Gate (from OR Tambo airport)
- Take Jones Rd and get on the R21 in Jet Park, Boksburg
- Follow N12 and N4 (the N4 heads towards Mbombela (also known as Nelspruit)) to R36 in Mpumalanga Province. Exit from N4/R36
- Take theR539 to the N4.
- Follow the N4. Exit from N4
- Then take the R40 to Hazyview via White River.
- From Hazyview, take the R536 to the Kruger gate.
- Allow between 5 to 6 hours for the total trip (OR Tambo airport to Kruger gate).
- Skukuza Camp is 12 km away from the Kruger Gate. Allow about 30 minutes for the drive to the camp.
Activities & Facilities
- Skukuza Camp offers adventure in the form of guided bush walks and game drives, all under the supervision of well informed and keen professional field guides. Important to note is that children under the age of six are not permitted on game drives, and children under the age of twelve are restricted from game walks.
- The Stevenson-Hamilton Memorial library, Lake Panic Bird Hide and a nine-hole golf course provide entertainment for guests, along with seasonal kid’s educational programs and wildlife films screened daily (barring Sundays)
- Facilities at the camp include information at the reception area, public telephones, a post office, a bank, car hire, two restaurants, shops, a deli with an internet cafe, shops, a laundromat, filling station, communal kitchens and bathrooms, cutlery and plate hampers available from reception, a garage with a workshop, a car wash, basic on-site first-aid assistance, auditorium and conference facilities, a day visitor picnic area outside the camp with its own swimming pool, and a further two swimming pools in the camp which are available to overnight residents only). Cell phone reception is also fully available, and limited channel access DSTV televisions in the luxury units. The Skukuza indigenous nursery is also open to visitors.
- If you would like to extend your stay, you can book further accommodation directly through Sanparks, sanparks.org
The congress will be hosted in the Kruger National Park Skukuza Camp and will take place during tourist season. Therefore, all accommodation needs to be booked and paid at the latest by 22 September 2023 for us to keep the block reservation. The rest of the camp is fully booked, and all rooms will be released after this date.
We know there are challenges with some of the academic institutions and government departments and would like to accommodate all delegates as far as possible. If needed, we recommend that you make provision for an advance to settle your accommodation and registration fees in time. Purchase orders should also be processed and paid by 22 September 2023 to secure your accommodation booking and conference registration. Please check the procedure with your financial department to adhere within the timelines. Quotes, Invoices and Statements are available – contact [email protected] if you need any documentation for PO processing.
Please note, the organisers can only manage accommodation reservations for the period of the congress (in on 15 November and out on 22 November). Any pre- or post-congress bookings should be made directly with Sanparks at www.sanparks.org.
Regarding booking accommodation:
- Congress registration is a pre-requisite for booking accommodation.
- All accommodation bookings will require full payment – this is fully refundable (less transaction fees) for all cancellations made prior to 22 September 2023.
- A 3% processing fee will be added to all accommodation bookings.
Please note: The symposium officially ends on Monday 20 November at 18h00, followed by post-event workshops on Tuesday 21 November. Due to the gate closures, you will be required to stay over on the night of 20 November and only depart the next day (21 November.
Kruger National Park and Camp gate times (for November)
- All Park entrance gates open @ 05:30am daily.
- All gates close @ 18:30pm (late arrivals are allowed for emergencies only – a R500 security escort vehicle will apply and is payable upfront. to the security guards)
NB! Exit permit
On entrance to the Kruger National Park you will need to provide the following entry code at reception: R8454502. You will receive an “Entry permit”; before finally exiting the Park you need to get an “Exit permit” from the Camp Reception office. It is advisable that you obtain the “Exit permit” the afternoon before departure. Please be aware of the relevant office hours of the Camp Reception. Please note: you will not be allowed to exit the Park gates if you are not in possession of an “Exit permit”.
ABOUT THE VENUE
Nombolo Mdhluli Conference Centre
This state of the art facility which consists of the main hall and four breakaway rooms offers facilities for up to 500 people. It is set in the heart of Skukuza Rest Camp, within walking distance of the Skukuza Safari Lodge. It presents a unique opportunity for a relaxed conferencing atmosphere with its own ambience.